Sam - 19


Cont...

Avery passed out at some point between the jet and the inside medical center. When she woke up she was in a hospital room.

The pain was dull or gone and she knew it was painkillers and drugs working. Her arm was wrapped tightly around her chest like Sam had done earlier though now the wrappings like the room were neat and clean.

How long had she been out? Shifting she looked at the time, it was three probably in the afternoon. Depending on the day she had been out for fourteen hours or more.

"You're up." A voice jerked her from her whirlwind thoughts. Tony Stark closed the door quietly behind him.

"Yes, though I suppose that I'm in a lot of trouble now," Avery admitted using her good arm to prop herself up in the sitting position.

"Well, that depends," Stark said sitting in one of those stiff crappy plastic chairs. He looked worn out and worn thin. His age becoming more evident with the bags under his eyes and the tired darkness around them. He looked haunted.

"On what?" Avery asked.

"On if I say anything," Stark responded with a smirk. There was no threat to his voice, just genuine but serious playfulness like he was actually considering it.

 That surprised Avery, she had really expected for him to turn them all in and reap the rewards. Maybe Steve was right. "How scandalous of you Mr. Stark. Before we get into it can I make a call?"

Stark nodded, "Of course. I have one question for you though, how did you get roped in with them?"

Avery frowned, "Pardon me?"

"Well Wilson said they forced you into helping them, you and your pilot. But I've seen your record, it doesn't add up. I don't think you got forced, I think you got talked into it." Stark elaborated.

"I'm not sure what you're insinuating Mr. Stark, what exactly did Mr. Wilson tell you?" Avery asked cooly.

"He said they blackmailed you into helping them. That it was against your will and that, that Max fellow was trying to help you get out of the situation. I don't think that's true. I can't turn you in, at this point I'll get arrested the same as the rest of you for assisting fugitives. But I'm sick of lies, so what really happened?" Tony said rising.

Avery considered a moment. What he asked was not unfathomable; it would simply incriminate her but if all he wanted was the truth then it would help their case. That and the fact he could turn them in and have the best lawyers on the planet get him out of it was also a factor.

Avery finally sighed, "I owe Sam my life. A few times over actually. A debt that many would consider life bound. So when he shows up and asks for help, I can't really say no. As much as I dislike him sometimes, I can't say no. Sam does without thinking. I can't speak for his state of mind, as if three days ago I hadn't seen him in twelve years. But do know his hearts in the right place. That's what made helping seem obvious."

Tony nodded, "Thank you." He turned to go.

"Mr. Stark, if I may?" Avery said hesitantly yet knowing if someone had done this for her a decade ago her life would be different.

The billionaire turned and tilted his head to let her continue. Avery picked her words carefully but some part of her knew he was ready to hear what she was about to say, "I know a broken man when I see one, even if it is through a TV. I've seen your face in the faces of countless others, broken, and beaten. We all are. I don't know maybe what I'm trying to say is this, maybe we all, yourself included, deserve a second chance."

Tony let her words sink in and nodded slowly, "I'll get that phone call for you now. Sam’ll come around soon.”

Please tell me what you think!

Follow if you like it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Price We Pay for Family - 39

The Price We Pay for Family - 38

The Price We Pay for Family- 35