This came out of a question I ask a friend that I had over.
We had just watched Captain America The First Avenger and I had a thought, would Peggy go to that date in an attempt to stall fate?

Peggy


That Saturday, in spite of the war the clubs were swinging and the young people were grasping what free time and youth they had left. But the crowded sidewalks parted for the women in red.

The dress she wore was something no one could get their hands on these days, she looked like perfection in before war standards and an angel now. She walked with poise, chin up, hat to a tilt, hair perfectly curled to frame her face. She entered the business called the Stork Club.

The dance floor was swinging and the music was almost hopeful.
But today Peggy Carter was in the mood for a dance.

Taking stock of the inhabitants in the club with a single, sweeping she sat down at the bar with a clear view of the door.
She contemplated the young couples on the dance floor fondly.

"You look awful lonely sitting all alone, miss." A young man remarked.

Peggy smiled politely, "Do I?"

"Yes, you look awful lonely. And the best way to remedy that is to dance. Shall we?" The man offered his hand.

Peggy's smile dimmed, "No, I do not wish to dance. Thank you though."

The man looked flabbergasted, "Pray tell what a lovely dame like you is doing sitting here, not dancing, all alone?"

"Waiting, for the right partner." Peggy's tone ended the failed attempt at her. The man walked off defeated as many a man followed him in the duration of the night. All that time Peggy never moved from her seat. The club moved around her as the night went on. Eventually, she was the only person left at the club, still waiting.

"Miss, we're closed now." The bartender said kindly.

"Oh, yes. I'm sorry." Peggy stood quickly, head down.

"Miss, are you alright? You sat here all night and are still looking as lost as when you came in." The bartender ask, concerned.

Peggy chuckled a bit, was that what it was, lost? "No, I'm fine."

She looked at the now empty dance floor.

Peggy, I'm gonna need a rain check on that dance.

She closed her eyes.

You know, I still don't know how to dance.

I'll show you how just be there.

"I just, I had a date." She admitted to the bartender who nodded as though he heard that story every day. He would never know.

Quietly she left letting the bartender lock up and then turned to look in the window.

 Her right partner was there, in the window, on a poster, looking down at her with confidence and pride. 

Turning she left, leaving a street of closed shops behind her.

Leaving, she left the poster of America's golden boy looking out into an empty street.

Behind her, she left the shattered dreams of a single dance with Captain Steve Rogers.


Please tell me what you think!

Follow if you like it!

Comments

  1. Good job DG! <3 I don't follow the Marvel Universe, so I don't know the character, but well done <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment!
      Love to know who I'm talking to!
      You don't have to be in any fandom to understand good writing!

      Delete
  2. I really love it! I'm not very deep into the MCU but this was really intriguing to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Marvel Fan here and you did a good job.
    Keep it going DG. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I loved reading this. I could visualize everything and could even hear that last conversation between her and Steve replaying in her thoughts. Teared up a bit. Keep writing girl! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Price We Pay for Family - 39

The Price We Pay for Family - 38

The Price We Pay for Family- 35