Possibility of Tomorrow - 42

 

Cont...


Secretary Ross walked through his empty floor towards his personal office in the CIA Langley headquarters. The Accords had been good to him, and opposition was fading. Stark was still a problem. Stark was always a problem. Ross grit his teeth. Stark might need to be eliminated soon if he persisted in being a problem. Another thing he'd have to outsource to his brother. Ross sighed; working with his brother was getting riskier and riskier as his ambitions, his plans grew. They weren't kids stealing weapons for chum change any more. He had the greatest weapons manufacturer known to man at his fingertips now. He had all the heroes of the world in his control. And what did his brother have? A failed project of children assassins. A violent drug no one would buy. Failures. He had risen to power while his brother had failed to accomplish anything other than the luxuries of life. Useless. He, too, was becoming obsolete. Soon he would need to go. Ross steed into his office and stopped short. 

That girl was back again, sitting crisscross in his office chair. "My my, aren't you working late?" The girl grinned, twisting the chair back and forth like a child.

 "What are you doing here?" Ross asked, voice showing his displeasure. "Didn't I tell you that if I saw you again, I would stop working with him?" 

The girl laughed, literally laughed, at that, "Ah, yes you did. You really should have thought before you said that." 

Ross simmered in rage. How dare she insinuate he was some sort of fool! That she could threaten him! "You tell my deadbeat brother-" 

"Your brother's dead." The girl's tone was ice as she cut him off, "I killed him." 

Ross stopped in his tracks. At least he didn't have to deal with it. "So I'm dealing with you directly now?" 

"Wow, no concern at all for one's family. How sad. No, Mr. Ross, you misunderstand me." The girl stood from his chair, "I killed your brother because he tried to kill me. Because he tried to hurt those close to me. And partly because he killed everyone I've ever grown up with." 

There's a glint in her hand. A handgun. She's wearing dark colors, and the way she moves is silent, balancing her weight. The children assassins, Ross's mind supplies. "So, are you here to kill me too?" He asks calmly. People have tried to kill him before, and people have failed. No one knows that he can't be killed. Not for a long time.

 The girl smirks, "Normally, I'd say yes, but we both know it wouldn't work." 

Something deep in Ross's gut drops out. She knows. Of course, she knows. He gave her all the clues the last time they met. He silently curses himself for being so stupid. But it won't matter. She's punched her ticket. She knows too much. She won't live beyond tonight. 

"So no, I'm not here to kill you." The girl continues rounding the corner of the desk, "You misunderstand my intentions." 

"And what are those?" Ross sneers, trying to decide if this will require throwing her out the window or not. Or squeezing her to death and dumping her in the Potomac later. 

"I'm a simple person, Mr. Ross. I can overlook your brother's actions. You're not him, but you're trying to hunt down my family for goodness knows why. You're trying to get your hands on my father just to ensure no one knows what you've done. I don't stand for traitors trying to kill my family." The girl says, standing in the window now her silhouette all Ross can see as the moonlight comes through the corner office walls.

The way she holds herself, that speech, the stealth at which she stands here, and the sass in her tone lead Ross to one conclusion on who she speaks. "You're family is a group of overpowered freaks who can't be trusted. I'm doing the world a favor. As for your father, no ones going to go file charges or throw even a funeral, for that matter, if he were to die. But you, you're definitely in over your head, little girl." Ross sneers, coming forward. He can feel the anger boiling under his skin and can see the red of his anger and power coming out.

The girl is pointing the gun at his head before he makes it one step towards her, "No, you are. I didn't come here to kill you tonight, Mr. Ross." She shifts her stance and pulls the trigger. Ross jerks as sharp pain blossoms from his neck. He pulls out a small metal capsule from his neck. And suddenly, he can feel his power and anger drain from him. The world starts getting less bright, less noisy, less everything as his world dilates wildly. "I came here to arrest you." The girl finishes taking the capsule out of his hand as he stumbles back from the overstimulation throbbing in his head. 

What happens next is a blur of loud noise and brighter colors. There are people, so many people yanking open his desk and shoving him down as someone yells at him. There's metal on his skin and blue and red flashing painfully outside, illuminating his office. 

All he remembers seeing as he's dragged out of his perfect corner office is that girl standing with James Barnes, his arms securely around her as they watch him get dragged off. 


Tell me what you think in the comments!

Follow if you like it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Price We Pay for Family - 39

The Price We Pay for Family - 38

The Price We Pay for Family- 35