Possibility of Tomorrow - 41


Cont...

 

Darling talked to Everett for four hours on the pier. Bucky watched from a safe distance as the two talked. Everett had a lot of questions. Darling had long answers, but by the end, Bucky felt it went well. Watching as Everett walked away and the crowd swallowed him up, Bucky came over to stand next to Darling. 

"You think it went well?" 

Darling hummed watch Everett disappear, "I think so."

"Good. Hungry?" 

"Starving." 

Bucky laughed, "Clam Chowder?" 

"Duh." 

Bucky laughed harder. Putting his arm around her shoulders, they started walking into the restaurant area. 

"What did you think?" Darling asked, leaning into him as they walked. 

"What do you mean?" Bucky asked as they got in line for chowder.

 "I know you were watching. What did you think? Do you think he's trustworthy?" Darling asked.

 "I think he's one of those people that has a really annoying moral compass that doesn't let him just walk away from bad things without bugging him nonstop." 

"Are you comfortable working with him after what he did to you?" 

"I don't think that was necessarily his fault. He was more a messenger in that situation."

 "So you're okay?"

"Yeah." 

They ordered their food and went and sat down. "Do you think he can bring down the giant?" Darling asked, sipping her drink. 

"Maybe, hopefully." Bucky shrugged, "We'll see." Darling hummed in agreement, "What's the first thing you wanna do when we get our pardons?"

Bucky considered, "I don't know. I think I wanna go see my sister, before it's too late."

 "You never told me you had a sister," Darling said quietly. 

"I was the oldest of four. The three others are gone now. But the second oldest, Rebecca, she's still around. I think I'll go see her." Bucky nodded, staring off into space. 

"That sounds nice. Where is she now?" Darling asked. 

"An assisted living place because her kids live too far away to take care of her in person. Near Philadelphia, if I remember right. She's in her late 80s now. I haven't gone to see her. Couldn't bring myself to." Bucky shook his head. 

"Why?" Darling asked, expecting him to spew some self depriving line that she would quickly shoot down. 

Bucky was quiet for a moment before finally choking out, "What if she's different? What if she's forgotten? What is she's just, gone already?" 

"There's no way to know that." Darling said quietly, "You should go. Before time catches up." 

Bucky winced at her words but nodded, "Yeah. Yeah, I probably should." 

"I could go with you so you won't chicken out." Darling teased. 

Bucky snorted, "You should come. She'd be delighted to meet her niece." 

Darling blinked, "Really?" 

"Really." 

"You want me to meet your sister?" 

"Well, she's your family too. It's only fair." 

"Wow. I'd love to." 

"Alright then. We'll go when this is all settled."

"What was she like?" Darling asked. 

"A lot of people thought we were twins. Because of that, she sought to be an independent person. She was unique, stubborn, and before her time. She reminded me of Natasha sometimes, unafraid. But she was also soft and caring when she wasn't trying to prove to the world that she was independent. Wanda reminds me of her in that aspect." Bucky looked at Darling, "She also reminds me of you." 

"Really? How so?" Darling asked, shifting on her seat. 

Bucky smiled, "Hopeful." 


Tell me what you think in the comments!

Follow if you like it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Price We Pay for Family - 39

The Price We Pay for Family - 38

The Price We Pay for Family- 35