Possibility of Tomorrow - 37

 

Cont...


Everett Ross put the last of the dishes he'd used for dinner into the dishwasher. He loved his job, but the relentlessness of the paperwork machine that was the UN's terrorists prevention task force was draining. 

Going into his living room, he dropped into his chair and flipped on the news. It wasn't special, just a report of an old abandoned mining facility that burned in Australia. It was so remote it had only recently been discovered, burned to rubble. Everett was about to turn channels to his favorite soap opera when there was a knock on his door. 

Groaning, he got up, "Who is it?" Coming to his door, he checked the peephole. The door was open in ten seconds flat. 

T'Challa smiled, "How are you, my friend?" 

Everett sputtered for a moment, "Good, come in, come in!" 

T'Challa came in, followed by two Dora guards. "Nice place you have." The king commented, looking around the remarkably spacious apartment. 

"Why are you here?" Everett blurted, "Not that's not great to see you, but this is a bit, off the books." 

T'Challa smiled and put a figure to his lips. Before Everett could question what that meant, the two Dora banged their spears on the floor in unison. The lights went out before coming back on a moment later. T'Challa smiled, "Yes, it is. I'm here for a more clandestine nature tonight." 

Everett looked between T'Challa and the Dora, "What was that?"

 "That was an EMP pulse strong enough to knock out any listening devices to ensure this conversation stays secret," T'Challa said calmly. 

Everett narrowed his eyes, "And what exactly are you about to tell me that requires my personal home to be checked for bugs?" 

T'Challa smiled, "Let's sit." 

"That bad?" Everett joked, "In that case, I'll pour the drinks." He grabbed two sodas from the fridge before sitting across from T'Challa. 

"Soda? When you said drinks, I expected something stronger." T'Challa chuckled, taking a bottle. 

"Something tells me I'll want to be sane and sober on this one." Everett signed, gulping down some soda. 

"Well, you're not wrong." T'Challa chuckled, "It is a big offer." 

"How big are we talking?" 

"If we succeed? New superhero governing system. If we lose, treason. For you. Possible invasion for me." 

"Treason? What in the world are you into that involves treason?" 

"Someone's going down for treason, Everett. Hopefully, it's not you."

"Who will it be?" 

"Thaddeus Ross." 

Everett choked, "General Ross? The Secretary of State? The head of the board of the Sokovia Accords regulation committee? That Thaddeus Ross?"

 "Yes."

 "That's insane."

 "I know it seemed hard to believe-" 

"No, the believing part isn't hard; the part where you try and succeed in toppling him is."

 "You knew he was dirty?" T'Challa seemed mildly surprised.

 "Of course," Everett scoff, "The whole 'no lawyers' call in Berlin made that clear. But you don't understand. You don't think no one has tried bringing him down, do you? Even with proof which I'm sure is out there, he doesn't go down. He paints you in the crimes you're trying to catch him with, condemns you, ruins you, and then burns you like it's the 1500s and you committed heresy." 

T'Challa blinked, "You have a very interesting way of warning me off, my friend." 

"Well, I'm just trying to make sure you don't make the same mistake others have." 

"What if I told you we have a recording of him confessing to his crimes?"

"You're serious? How much?" 

"Enough. What would you say?" 

"I'd say that you'll get blasted for entrapment." 

"Not entrapment, my friend; there was no coercion. We had someone undercover, he told them willingly." 

"Then I would say that you have a better chance than those before you. Not great, but better."

 "Will you do it, my friend?" 

"Hold up, who said I was doing this?" 

"I can't. I'm backing the demolishing of the Accords. If I back this, it will look like slander. But coming from you, one of the influential members of the Accords board, it wouldn't look like that." 

"Yeah, it would look like treason to my boss." 

"No, you would look like a concerned citizen wanting what is best for your government, for your people not to be duped. Who the world calls a traitor all depends on how he is perceived. The people define their response. Come to them as a concerned whistleblower, and they will herald you a patriot. Come to them as wanting to tear him down, and they'll call you a slanderous traitor." 

"Why me?" 

"Because you can't be bought. You've seen firsthand all the world has to offer and what you can give to it. You've also seen what Ross can do to those who stand in his way. You aren't okay with someone who rejects those who are right. Your actions speak louder than your words."

Everett looked down at his almost untouched drink and sighed, "Now I feel like I should have gotten us soothing stronger." He took a drink then looked at T'Challa, "What would I have to do?"  


Tell me what you think in the comments!

Follow if you liked it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Price We Pay for Family - 39

The Price We Pay for Family - 38

The Price We Pay for Family- 35