Sam - 4


Cont...

It took a lot of more than slightly illegal actions to get themselves to Brussels in two days. Now they were sitting in another stolen car in the red light district of Brussels sitting in an alley across from a very shady back door to what seemed to be a nightclub. It was more a place that would get you shot than see a celebrity in the line for that club.

"Remind me why we're here?" Bucky asked, shifting in his seat to look over at Sam. He had been tight-lipped about where and who he was going to for help.

Sam sighed looking at the clock in the car, "I had a life before you knew me, Barnes. My wings aren't exactly standard issue for the Pararescue." Sam looked back out of his car window.

 "What is that supposed to mean?" Bucky asked, getting frustrated.

Sam didn't respond but straightened as a door behind them opened and a younger man came out, closed the door, tossed his jacket over his shoulder, and started slowly walking deeper down the dark alley. Sam turned to Bucky, "Whatever you do, keep your mouth shut."

With that and that alone he flung the door open and got out following the man. They went deeper into the dark dank alley before the young man stopped at a car at the end of the alley. Without warning, he wiped around and had a gun in Sam's face, "What do you want, Wilson?"

The sight of a gun made Bucky want to move but the use of Sam's last name made him stop and instead sank into the shadows to watch.

"How are you, Max?" Sam acted as though there wasn't a gun pointed at his face.

 "Still stuck in the pit that you put me in all those years ago. What do you want?" Max snapped back eyes dark.

"How about you get that gun out of my face for old times sake?" Sam recommended.

"Old times sake is me not turning you over to the Feds right now. Shooting you is still in the options." Max growled back, not wavering.

Sam looked down nodding, "I need to see the boss."

Max scoffed, "The boss is for the crew, the crew you left. I'd leave while I haven't called the cops and you don't have a hole in your body." He turned around and holstered his gun unlocking his car.

"Maybe you should listen," Sam said quietly.

"Maybe you shouldn't have left!" Max roared whipping around waving the point of his keys threatening in Sam's face, "You said you'd be back in two weeks. This is not two weeks."

Sam leaned a little back at the motion, "You're right. I shouldn't have left. I was lost and wrong. But I'm trying to make up for my mistakes. I need your help, hers too if I can get it."

Max deflated a bit at Sam's agreement turning away from him and putting his coat into the seat of the car and rested both of his hands on the roof of his car.

"Max, please." Sam almost begged.

Max closed his eyes and shook his head trying to dislodge whatever he was thinking. When he opened his eyes his mind was made up. Groaning as though he already regretted his actions he jerked his head to his car, "Come on."

Sam gave him a confused look.

 Max rolled his eyes, "Look I might be stupid since I'm currently agreeing to this, but I'm not a complete brainless. I still have a brain in my head. There is no way I'm taking you to the crew without my clean backstopped identity. If this doesn't get me thrown out that will. Now come on, you seem in a rush."

"Let me grab my stuff," Sam said, turning and hurrying back to the car.

Bucky came back and grabbed his stuff, "Can we trust him?"

Sam looked up from his hunched position grabbing his own stuff, "I did for eight years. I think we'll be fine."

Max's car came to life at the end of the alley as Sam closed the driver’s side door. Max rolled forward to stop next to them, "You didn't say you had a second person."

Sam shrugged coming around the car to the passenger’s side, "Details."

Max snorted, shaking his head as Sam got in, "Always the quick wit. And always one to make it interesting."

Bucky came around and slid into the back seat pleased to find just enough space in the back seat to not be squashed, "Sorry."

"Don't be." Max said, pulling into the dark street, "Doofus here had the habit of leaving out small but big details."

The drive was silent as they left the red district and then the city itself behind. Finally pulling up to an abandoned warehouse. Max got out and unlocked the garage door pulling it up before driving in, parking, and locking back up. Sam and Bucky waited for him to finish before being waved deeper into the old structure. They finally wound through before coming to a well-hidden and well-stocked armory.

 "I think I still have some of your stuff," Max muttered looking through drawers. He came back to the table with a wooden box which he handed to Sam. Max went back to looking through his stuff that had to be in some system unknown to all but him.

Bucky looked over Sam's shoulder as he opened the box. It was an alias, Jason Burns. The picture was outdated by almost a decade but the credentials to start over were there.

"So this is what you meant by, I had a life before you knew me?" Bucky asked quietly.

"I'll explain later," Sam said closing the box and putting it in his backpack, the only thing he had left at the moment. "I'm surprised you kept this," Sam said loader.

"Well, you said you would come back for it, only you never did," Max said coming over with two more boxes and a knapsack. "I can have the jet ready in two hours. You and I will be the official people on the roster, our aliases of course, with one assistant that will remain unnamed. With the heat, you two bring under no circumstances are you to talk to anyone. The only silver lining is we're leaving in two in the morning. No one should see." Max laid it out all the while hands moving, switching out his passport and identity for another.

"Thank you, Max," Sam said sincerely.

"Don't thank me yet. You're jumping from the pan into the fire."

Please tell me what you think!

Follow if you like it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Price We Pay for Family - 39

The Price We Pay for Family - 38

The Price We Pay for Family- 35