The Price We Pay for Family - 6

 

Cont...


The real world came crashing back on Sarah when a loud voice started demanding to know what was going on, and the FBI head came storming down her front steps getting ready to rip her brother a new one. Bucky shifted, putting her slightly behind him, and seemed to brace for the mad beyond belief FBI head. He was back in work mode, but his hand stayed in hers.

 "What, in the love of all that's good, is going on? I expect to be kept in the loop but this," the FBI head was screaming in Sam's face now shaking a fist at him, "Is in complete disregard for that." 


Sam raised an eyebrow, "Is that so? Like the way you neglected to inform my sister or me of what's happening, or your complete disregard of my sister's home?" The FBI head was fuming, but Sam wasn't done, "These are my nephews who are missing, not yours. My family. Now you can either get out of my face and do your job, or I can put this discussion off to later when this is over, and trust me, when this is over, I'll be much less, patient." 


The FBI head was mad, but he also had a mind not to inflame Captain America, "I want a sitrep." 


Sam turned, "Torres, give the man a sitrep."


Torres nodded and bounded up the stairs the FBI head turned to go, but then Bucky stepped in, "I'll need those back." The FBI head growled but turned and tossed whatever was in his fist at Bucky, who easily caught it. Sarah watched the man storm back inside; his staff followed. Only when they were mostly alone did Sam and Bucky relax. 


"Piece of work," Sam grumbled. 


"Let's go inside," Bucky said, wrapping his arm around Sarah's shoulders. 


Sarah leaned in naturally, relishing the feeling for a moment before sadness overwhelmed her, "You really want to do this?" 


Bucky looked down at her with determination, "Yes. Those boys are one of the most important things in the world." 


Sarah leaned in as they headed up the stairs into the house, "Good cause they'll be ecstatic you finally proposed."


 An odd, almost wistful look passed through Bucky's face before leaving as fast as it came, "I don't think I'm ready for a wedding." His voice was light, but there was a tightness in his eyes. 


Sarah decided not to address that but shrugged, "I don't need a wedding. All I need is you, the boys, Sam, and an officiant."


 "Not even a dress?" Bucky asked, raising an eyebrow. 


"I've done this whole thing before; it's not as great as it seems. In the end, all I need is you." Sarah smiled up at him. 


Bucky couldn't help but smile back all the while his gut sank, "How picturesque. Can you grab us some drinks? We need to get back to planning."


 "Sure." Sarah nodded, the happiness of the moment fading. 


Sam pulled Bucky over once Sarah was out of earshot, "As proposals go, that was the worst one ever."

 

"Look, I'm sorry, okay, I wasn't thinking, and I shouldn't have said that, and I should have asked you -" Bucky rushed to apologize before Sam cut him off.


 "That's not what I'm worried about." Sam said seriously, "I'm worried about the fact she doesn't realize what you doing this entails." 


Bucky's face morphed from relief to sadness, "I know."


 "You do realize; you do this, there's a real chance you don't come back?" Sam said solemnly. 


"I know," Bucky said quietly. 


"Does she?" Sam asked bluntly, "Look, I know you would never intentionally hurt my sister, but she needs to know these things going in. No matter how they hurt." 


Remorse passed through Bucky's face coupled with pain, sadness, and regret at the notion of causing Sarah pain, even indirectly, "I know." 


They both turned to look at Sarah, who was pouring glasses of lemonade, oblivious to the next bombshell about to hit her. "For what it's worth, if this works out, you and her are really happy together, happiest I've seen her in years," Sam said, watching his sister practically float around the kitchen.

 

Bucky smiled just barely, "For what it's worth, if this doesn't work out," Sam turned to look at Bucky, who was still absorbed watching Sarah, "Don't be bitter or angry. It steals too much time, too much good. Don't let them do that." Bucky looked over at Sam with wistful sadness but also calm peace. Like an old man thinking back in his life. And that, Sam reasoned, wasn't far from the truth.



Tell me what you think in the comments!

Follow if you like it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Price We Pay for Family - 39

The Price We Pay for Family - 38

The Price We Pay for Family- 35