Possibility of Tomorrow - 19

 

Cont...


A week passed of what Darling supposed was normality, school, life, patrolling. 

She'd found all the old Hydra safe houses Bucky had told her about, but they were emptied. Whether from him or something else, she didn't know. She wasn't about to open herself to vulnerability, so she wasn't staying at any of them no matter how nice a bed sounded. She had found an empty warehouse to squat in while she searched for leads.

Despite what she had told Peter, she didn't know the Ten Rings were in New York, but the evidence suggested it. The Ten Rings were still mostly in the Middle East, but she did know some of them had come over hoping to build a new cell. Moscow had produced plans to move to the US also. Everything pointed to that; she just couldn't prove it.

School was mind-numbing and stupid. She knew it all already. But it was an experience, that was for sure. One thing was for certain, she never wanted to be a regular teenager. 

The Reaper was gaining attention in the underground community as one who was deadly efficient and unseen. She'd found a lot of leads with her reputation but not a lot of good ones. She wasn't Spider-Man, she wouldn't hand you over to the police, and she left no one behind. 

She had just gotten back in and needed to crash before she fell asleep on her feet. Darling carefully folded her outfit so she wouldn't wrinkle her veil and shifted so she could grab her knives. 

There was a creak behind her as someone approached, "I wondered when you would show up." 

"Well, you made it kinda obvious you wanted me to. So shoot." Tony Stark shrugged when she turned around. 

"How much do you already know?" Darling asked, cleaning her scythe as she came over. 

"That my favorite terrorist group is back in the picture and out for revenge." Tony joked. 

Darling raised an eyebrow, "I take it you heard the whole conversation." 

"Yep." Tony popped the "p," nodding absentmindedly, "Princess of Jordan, what was up with that?" 

Darling sighed out a chuckle and rolled her eyes, "Don't ask. I'm still unhappy about that." 

"So I picked up. Why do you think they're after Peter?" Tony cut to the chase. 

"The Ten Rings wants to even the score. What better way than Peter? Why are you asking? I haven't told you anything you haven't guessed." Darling shook her head. 

Tony sighed, "No, you haven't. But you being here just makes it real. That this is happening, oh goodness, this is going to so ruin my therapy progress." 

Darling snorted, "You know it's really hard to understand you when you deflect left and right with harsh humor." 

"Yeah, sorry narcissistic tendencies." Tony shrugged it off. 

"No, a coping mechanism." Darling gave him a pointed look. 

Tony huffed out a laugh, "Man, you're sharp. Any way I could get you to work for me?"

 Darling smiled, "Bigger fish to fry, remember?"

 "Right, Good and Righteous and posse. How's that going with RoboCop?" Tony asked. 

Darling sighed and thought of the papers buried in her bag and the one she'd left in Wakanda, "Complimented. You and Ms. Potts?" 

Tony hummed, leaning back, "Better. What you broke up with the band?"

 Darling chilled, "No. Duty called, I answered even if it was untimely." 

"Duty, that annoying thing." Tony agreed.

"But you're not here to talk about our big dysfunctional family. You wanna know where the head of the Ten Rings is." Darling pulled the conversion back to the problem at hand. 

"Wow. You sure you're not a little Maximoff? No telepathic abilities hidden away up there?" Tony made a vague gesture to her head. 

Darling grinned, "I'm flattered. But no. Do you want to know or not?"

 "Lay it on me." Tony leaned forward. 

"Last I heard, they were in Spain. But that was two weeks ago. If you want up-to-date info, you'd need to get in touch with Steve. I can do that if you need."

 "No, no, I have a direct link to Disappointment Central in my desk. Thanks for the offer, though." Tony waved her off. 

Darling's expression fell, "I was hoping you two had made progress at Thanksgiving. Guess not." 

"No, we did, but if I get caught by Ross even remotely affiliating with any of you, we'll lose our advantage." Tony quickly explained, "That's just the way I have to talk almost 24/7 still. Force of habit."  

"Ah." Darling nodded, "Well, I think this concludes our impromptu meeting Mr. Stark. Now, if you'll excuse me," she rose and stifled a yawn, "I need to rest." 

"Wait here?" Tony rose, motioning around, looking very put out by the idea.

 "I've slept at worse. Besides, I have a cover to maintain." Darling shrugged, hiding her stuff away in her dark corner.

 "At least let me put you up in a seedy hotel! They at least have beds!" Tony protested. 

"And security cameras and neighbors and no second or third escape route. I'm fine, really, Mr. Stark." Darling shook her head. 

Tony looked so put off but finally seemed to see he wasn't going to win on this one, "Only if you're sure, Ms. Darling." 

"I am; thank you for your concern. Good night." 

Tony shook his head as he left, "Good night." 

Darling listened as quiet thrusters took off into the night. Well, at least that was off her list.


Please tell me what you think in the comments!

Follow if you like it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Price We Pay for Family - 39

The Price We Pay for Family - 38

The Price We Pay for Family- 35