WS AU - 15

Cont...

This was it. Bucky could feel it in his bones. As the metal all around him hummed he knew, Steve was here, somewhere, waiting. This was the last carrier, Hydra's last chance to stop him. He'd be here, Bucky knew. He found the main control panel and he found Steve, waiting as expected, to kill him. Only a catwalk separated them now. Bucky had donned the blue coat he'd last worn when they had seen each other. He doubted it would work but he had to try or more than just Helicarriers were going to die today.

"People are gonna die Steve. That's never what you wanted." Bucky said watching his best friend's face devoid of the mask and of emotion.

A flash of confusion, of hesitation.

 "You don't remember, that's okay. But you have to let me make this right. I failed you. I'm not about to do it again." Bucky said coming closer.

Confusion now, a look that screamed he was lost.

"Will you let me fix this? Let me help you?" Bucky asked standing there in front of Steve.

 The confusion mixed with pain, "You’re my mission." It came out in a bone-chilling growl but his eyes screamed for someone to help.

 Bucky nodded slowly, "I can still help you if you let me."

The lost look in Steve's eyes hurt to the bone. "How?"

"You don't remember. I can help you remember. I can help you find you again. I know who you are. Do you know me?" Bucky asked.

Steve's eyes clouded with pain, anger, and desperation, "No."

 Bucky squashed the disappointment that flooded him, "Okay. I'm your best friend. I've known you your whole life. I'm Bucky."

Steve's eyes suddenly hardened in pain, "Shut up!"

 Bucky spun out of the reach of the metal arm, grabbed it by the wrist, kicked out his feet, and flipped the man over his shoulder and let go. Bucky didn't stop to look down; it was only three stories, Steve could take it. He bolted forward, entered the pin, and slammed in the data chip. "Charlie lock. Fire at will."

"But-" Maria sounded horrified.

"Just do it." Bucky ground out before jumping over the edge after Steve. The first shot threw both of them off their feet. The explosions that followed bucked and rolled the ground making it almost impossible to stand let alone walk.

 "Your name is Steven Grant Rogers. We grew up together!" Bucky said over the sounds of a Helicarrier imploding all around them.

Steve let out a cry and swung wildly at him. Pieces of the carrier were falling all around them and Bucky saw it coming. Instinct took over.

Shoving Steve away the beam crashed into Bucky trapping him under beams of industrial metal. He struggled but couldn't move. The spearing pain matched the blood pooling at his middle from the sharp metal coming in from every direction.

So this was how he'd go, bleeding out, trapped in a dying Helicarrier with a best friend who couldn't remember.

Looking up he locked eyes with Steve. The blue eyes were still confused, still pained but now worried and determined. With a grunt, the man threw his whole weight into the metal shoving as hard as he could.

 Bucky realized what he was doing and struggled to wiggle out with the room Steve had given him. He could barely use his legs as he dragged himself forwards out from under before Steve let it go. They both collapsed next to each other gasping for breath.'

"You saved me," Steve stated clearly confused.

"Yeah well, I couldn't just let you die Punk. It's not my style or job." Bucky panted back. "But I guess we're at the end of the line now you and me."

Steve looked at him and for the first time, there was recognition in his eyes. Another chunk of metal fell smashing the glass under them. Bucky hurled towards the water below.

 It felt solid as he entered it. His vision was going, the pain was fading, and he was dying.

A force grabbed him and all he saw before he blacked out was a metal hand.

Please tell me what you think!

Follow if you like it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Price We Pay for Family - 39

The Price We Pay for Family - 38

The Price We Pay for Family- 35